Saturday, September 8, 2007

An Update :)

It's been almost a wee since my last update and things are still going great. We decided to get a room mate after all as the traveller business is full of flakes. One of the people from my academy moved in. We are all living harmoniously at this point As far as Madrid goes, I've slowly been exploring some of the city, but am in no rush. I've noticed some of the other Americans are going hog-wild as tourists. I suppose this is because they have never been to the city before. The apartment is almost up to snuff and I promise to have pictures soon!

On a side note, Jorge and I went out last night and had a good time. We went to a club called "Spank." Apparently, for linguistic reasons, Spaniards are incapable of saying the letter S when it is followed by a consonant. The MUST add an E in front of the S. Therefore, "Spank" is pronounced "Espank." That's all well and good EXCEPT that if I say it the correct way, they cannot understand me. This is true for all English words. Unless I Spanishsize them, they have NO CLUE. As a native speaker, this is a very difficult task, so I often just give up and spell an English word using the Spanish alphabet. It sickens me to do this, but I must. I believe the problem lies in the media. Subtitles do not exist in Spain, unlike other countries. Everything is dubbed into Spanish so the Spaniards have no contact with English.

1 comment:

The HR Director said...

Elife's esuch ea ebitch, edon't eyou eagree?